The Sir Frederick Banting Legacy Foundation provides several annual awards:
- Education Awards for youth living with diabetes who wish to pursue post-secondary education.
- Travel Grants for undergraduate and graduate students
- Research internships for undergraduate students seeking opportunities to complement their course work or meet the experience requirements of their program
- Recognition Awards for adults who have lived for 50 years or more on insulin
Banting Legacy Education Awards
These awards are provided as support for students, living with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, to advance their career aspirations through post-secondary education.
Awards are based on consideration of academic achievement, leadership, creative contributions to extra-curricular activities within school and community, diligent adherence to essential diabetes self-management protocols, a written essay selected from topics provided and supporting recommendations from healthcare providers and community leaders.
Awards may range in value from $500 to $3,000, at the discretion of the Selection Committee, based on the relative degree to which each winning applicant has met the Award criteria.
These awards are open to applicants who are:
- permanent residents in Canada;
- in the final year of high school;
- attending a high school in Ontario or a current student of an Ontario school board;
- entering into a post-secondary educational facility in the Fall of the year in which the Award is offered;
- have been living with either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes for at least 1 year and are registered with a diabetes program or healthcare provider;
- have fulfilled all the requirements identified in the application form.
The Education Awards Selection Committee reserves the right to vary the number and value of awards made in a given year.
The 2021-22 application deadline will be announced in early 2021.
Students wishing to apply should send a request from their personal email account. Please include name, grade, name of school and location, and diabetes type and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
2020-21 Education Award Winners photos
SFBLF provides two travel grants of $1,000 each that are available for undergraduate and medical students, graduate students and Postdoctoral and Clinical Fellows.
These awards are administered as part of the Funding Programs for Trainees within the Banting & Best Diabetes Centre at the University of Toronto.
For more information, please visit bbdc.org
50+ Years on Insulin Award
These awards are made to recognize the courage of individuals who have lived on insulin for 50 years or more.
SFBLF welcomes nominations from healthcare professionals, friends or family at any time. Annual awards are made during Banting Legacy Week in November.
To nominate a candidate or seek more information, contact email@example.com or Tel: 705-435-0111