2021 is the 100th Anniversary of the
Discovery of Insulin
Hundreds of millions of lives have been saved globally.
Hundreds of countries will celebrate the Discovery.
Please Join the Celebrations.
This discovery, made in late 1921, at the University of Toronto, is Canada’s gift to the world. 2021 is a special opportunity for all Canadians to honour and celebrate this lasting legacy.
Help us put our best foot forward on the world stage
‘Walk in the Footsteps of Banting’
This free event will be held at Banting’s birthplace on Saturday and Sunday, May 29/30, 2021.
- 3 sessions on Saturday, May 29, 2021
- 2 sessions on Sunday, May 30, 2021
- Each session limited to 30 guests
5116 Sir Frederick Banting Road, Alliston, Ontario, Canada, L9R 1V2
The Insulin Discovery Team
A friendly challenge for all Canadians.
Let’s activate 100 responses across our country to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of the Discovery of Insulin.
- Organize a neighbourhood walk or run.
- Add some fun with a ‘Dog Walk’: don’t forget water and treats for your 4-legged friend.
- Organize a special ‘Celebration Game’ for your sports team.
- Daily exercise is an important way to reduce your risk of Type 2 diabetes and equally important as part of daily condition management for those living with diabetes.
- Organize an art contest for young folk to create a commemorative ‘poster’.
- Sir Frederick Banting, co-discoverer of insulin and Canadian medical hero was a prolific artist.
Demonstrate your artistic skills as a salute to Sir Frederick Banting.
- Organize a diabetes awareness and prevention day at your school or workplace. Download posters to support your event.
- Diabetes is a global pandemic and Type 2 diabetes is increasing rapidly among children and youth. Help each other to understand the risks and how to minimize them.
Please tell us about your event in support of the 100th Anniversary of the Discovery of Insulin.
Send details to email@example.com and we will add a description to our ‘100 for 100’ Celebrations page.
Take the ‘100th Anniversary Challenges’
Can you do better than friends and colleagues?
We depend on donations to pursue our goal of fighting diabetes and preserving a legacy.
‘Walk in the Footsteps of Banting’ and ‘Insulin to Innovation’ are sponsored in part by Sanofi Pasteur Canada and are joint initiatives of
New information exhibits at the SFBLF Diabetes Management and Information Centre at the Banting Homestead Heritage Park and related Celebration assets are funded by the Ontario Trillium Foundation.