Key dates in the evolution of the Banting homestead in Alliston, Ontario, Canada
The Militia Land Grant #1675 is deeded to private
William Carter purchases the land and builds a large log cabin on it for his brotherin-law, John Meredith, who brings his family to Canada from Queen’s County, Ireland
John dies intestate and his two sons, James and Edward Meredith, petitioned the court for the farm. The petition is witnessed by their cousins R.T.Banting and John Banting.
James Meredith dies and bequeaths his half of the farm to another brother, Thomas, who later sells his half to Edward.
William Banting purchases the farm from his cousin, Edward Meredith for $8,000. He names the farmstead Ballyfin in honour of the Banting family roots in Ireland. On November 14th, 1891, Fred Banting is born in the Farmhouse.
William sells the farm to his eldest son, Thompson. In 1916, a fire destroys the barn and outbuildings, but leaves the farmhouse unscathed.
Thompson builds a brick octagonal drive shed, unique because farm implements could be driven in and out, and parked against one of the seven closed walls.
Thompson completely renovates the house. Dismantling the building and reconstructing a smaller eight-room house on the same foundation.
Thompson sells the farm to his son, Edward Banting, for $15,000. Edward retires from farming in 1973, but continues to reside in the farmhouse, while renting his land to neighbouring farmers
A Cairn is erected on the property, marking the birthplace of Sir Frederick Banting.
The Banting Homestead, formerly in Essa Township, is subsumed within the newly-created Town of New Tecumseth.
Edward Banting dies and bequeaths the entire farmstead to an historical organization.
The Town of New Tecumseth purchases the property and names it the Banting Homestead Heritage Park.
The Octagonal Drive Shed is restored with funds raised by the Rotary Club of Alliston, the Alliston Lions Club and SFBLF.
The Farmhouse is restored under the leadership of SFBLF using funds raised through an early campaign by the Town of New Tecumseth and subsequent funds raised by SFBLF. The Farmhouse officially opens to the public at the annual Banting Day/World Diabetes Day celebration held on November 10, 2012.
The first stage of a new Heritage Exhibit building with barrier-free facilities is completed on May 31, 2013 and officially opens on Banting Day, November 9, 2013.
New interior exhibits designed and installed. Picnic tables added. Parks Canada heritage plaque added to front of property. A ‘safety walkway’ is installed across the southern front section of the park.
The Banting Legacy exercise Trail around the building envelope added in the Spring. The Legacy Trail connects with the ‘safety walkway’. Exterior information exhibits and more trees added to the Trail. Legacy Garden patio and new flagpole installed.
New heating, lighting capability added to the octagonal Drive Shed.
Exterior exercise equipment added to the Trail in late summer. Custom built ‘heat-sealed’ doors added to the octagonal Drive Shed.
A work in progress.
SFBLF will continue to enhance exhibits and features at the site to ensure an informative, welcoming venue for all.