The Sir Frederick Banting Legacy Foundation provides several annual awards:
- Education Awards for youth living with diabetes who wish to pursue post-secondary education.
- Recognition Awards for adults who have lived for 50 years or more on insulin
Banting Legacy Education Awards
These awards are provided as support for students, living with Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes, to advance their career aspirations through post-secondary education.
Awards are based on consideration of academic achievement, leadership, creative contributions to extra-curricular activities within school and community, diligent adherence to essential diabetes self-management protocols, a written essay selected from topics provided and supporting recommendations from healthcare providers and community leaders.
Awards may range in value from $500 to $3,000, at the discretion of the Selection Committee, based on the relative degree to which each winning applicant has met the Award criteria.
These awards are open to applicants who are:
- permanent residents in Canada;
- in the final year of high school;
- attending a high school in Ontario or a current student of an Ontario school board;
- entering into a post-secondary educational facility in the Fall of the year in which the Award is offered;
- have been living with either Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes for at least 1 year and are registered with a diabetes program or healthcare provider;
- have fulfilled all the requirements identified in the application form.
The Education Awards Selection Committee reserves the right to vary the number and value of awards made in a given year.
Students wishing to apply should send a request from their personal email account. Please include name, grade, name of school and location, school board, diabetes type, and year of diagnosis. Send request to email@example.com.
The opportunity to seek an application package for 2022-23 will be available soon.
2020-21 Education Award Winners photos
50+ Years on Insulin Award
These awards are made to recognize the courage of individuals who have lived on insulin for 50 years or more.
SFBLF welcomes nominations from healthcare professionals, friends or family at any time. Annual awards are made during Banting Legacy Week in November.
To nominate a candidate or seek more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Tel: 705-435-0111